Tweaking your server ini (UT)
Here are various tweaks you can do in your server's ini file.
- Port specifies what port your server will be using.
This is an important section for a server as it allows you to add custom skins, mutators and gametypes.
CacheSizeMegs=4 ServerActors=IpDrv.UdpBeacon ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerQuery ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=... ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=... ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=... ServerActors=UWeb.WebServer ServerPackages=SoldierSkins ServerPackages=CommandoSkins ServerPackages=FCommandoSkins ServerPackages=SGirlSkins ServerPackages=BossSkins ServerPackages=Botpack ServerPackages=<CustompackageName>
- According to Epic, changing CacheSizeMegs won't do anything for a server so leave it at it's default value.
- You can add a ServerPackages line to add custom content that will be force downloaded to a client. For custom skins, just add the name of the utx that contains the skins. For mutators and gametypes, refer to the readme provided with them. If you don't have a readme, look inside the int file for some clues.
- Serveractors are usually used by more advanced server mods that affect gameplay but aren't force-downloaded to clients.
- You can comment out lines so they have no effect by preceding them with ";".
- If you are looking for a way to change the server packages loaded without restarting a server, take a peak at Cratos' Dynamic Package Loader.
This is where some tweaking can be done to fit the capacity of your line.
AllowDownloads=True MaxDownloadSize=0 DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload ConnectionTimeout=15.000000 InitialConnectTimeout=500.000000 AckTimeout=1.0 KeepAliveTime=0.200000 MaxClientRate=5000 SimLatency=0 RelevantTimeout=5.000000 SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.000000 ServerTravelPause=4.000000 NetServerMaxTickRate=20 LanServerMaxTickRate=35
- AllowDownloads will allow clients to download files directly off the server.
- MaxDownloadSize controls how big files downloaded off the server can be. If a file is too big, the server will refuse to send it.
- ConnectionTimeout : This controls how long the server waits for receiving any data from a client before it decides it has timed out.
- InitialConnectTimeout : This controls how long the server waits after a connection has been initialised.
- What AckTimeout does is an absolute mystery :P .
- KeepAliveTime : This is the time a server will send a packet regardless of whether it needs to update possible packet alive time.
- MaxClientRate controls the maximum netspeed a client will use when connected to the server. As a rule of thumb, a netspeed of 5500 should suffice for someone playing with a resolution of 1024x768 @ 85 Hz.
- SimLatency : leave this value at default. It allows you to simulate gameplay with latency.
- RelevantTimeout : This decides how long an actor needs to be out of sight before the server decides that it is no longer relevant for the client.
- SpawnPrioritySeconds : This affects spawn priority.
- ServerTravelPause is the delay the server observes when transitting from one map to another.
- NetServerMaxTickRate is how many "frames" an Internet server operates at. It is an important setting in that it will affect CPU usage. Some admins will set this higher believing that it improves ping but that is nonsense. Also, higher tick rates will influence the power of weapons such as the pulse cannon and minigun in a noticeable way.
DemoSpectatorClass=Botpack.CHSpectator MaxClientRate=25000 ConnectionTimeout=15.0 InitialConnectTimeout=500.0 AckTimeout=1.0 KeepAliveTime=1.0 SimLatency=0 RelevantTimeout=5.0 SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0 ServerTravelPause=4.0 NetServerMaxTickRate=60 LanServerMaxTickRate=60
These settings will affect serverside recording. It is best to not modify them.
ServerName=Xan Kriegor's Server - Come and get it ! ShortName=Xan Kriegor's Server AdminName=Xan AdminEmailfirstname.lastname@example.org Region=0 MOTDLine1=Dare you enter my sanctuary MOTDLine2=and challenge the MOTDLine3=one and only MOTDLine4=champion ?
- Servername is used to enter a name for the server that will appear in the scoreboard.
- ShortName is the name that will appear in the server browser on clients.
- AdminName gives an indication of who's in charge of the server.
- AdminEmail gives an address that players can use to contact the admin.
- Region indicates what part of the world the server is in. They are as follows :
Regions used on gamespy 0 = No Region Specified (any Region) 1 = Southeast US 2 = Western US 3 = Midwest US 4 = Northwest US, West Canada 5 = Northeast US, East Canada 6 = United Kingdom 7 = Continental Europe 8 = Central Asia, Middle East 9 = Southeast Asia, Pacific 10 = Africa 11 = Australia / NZ / Pacific 12 = Central, South America
- MOTDLineN : These lines are to add the Message Of The Day that will appear on player's screens when they enter the server.
RedirectToURL=http://www.awebsite.net/path/to/uzs/ UseCompression=True ProxyServerPort= ProxyServerHost=
- RedirectToURL : This points to the web site where the compressed UZ files are stored for redirection.
- UseCompression : This tells UT that the redirect files are compressed (advised).
- ProxyServerPort & ProxyServerHost are simply used if the web server is behind a proxy.
- AdminUsername & AdminPassword are required for logging into the server using the console.